After talking about it for a few weeks, I actually took my antlers back to my house and boiled them. It was a nice, sunny day. I had my grill going and everything was working well.
The wind put out the burner a couple of times, but I re-lit it. However, when I ran out of propane, I was forced to bring it inside.
With the windows and door open, I boiled this thing. I added water every 30-60 minutes to keep it boiling. Hour after hour. I thing the entire project took me about 8 hours. But when it was done, this is what I had. Its funny to look at the antlers now and see how uneven they are.
I think the lines are the coolest thing. They are suture lines from the soft infant skull fusing solid. And for some reason, I can not remember seeing these lines on the antlers Dad has. I will have to check out all of his more closely when I am at the house next time.